Why do you need a flu vaccine every year?
- The body’s response from flu vaccination declines over time, so an annual vaccine is needed for optimal protection
- The flu vaccination is reviewed and updated each year to keep up with the constantly changing flu viruses.
Who should get vaccinated?
Everyone six months and older should get vaccinated annually.
When should you get vaccinated?
Flu vaccination begins soon after the vaccine becomes available in August. Ideally, patients should get vaccinated by October. However, the flu vaccine is offered throughout flu season, which extends from October to May.
Does the flu vaccine work right away?
No. It takes approximately two weeks after vaccination for the vaccine to provide protection against the flu virus. This is why it is best to get vaccinated early in the fall, before flu season begins.
What are the benefits of flu vaccination?
- The flu vaccine provides protection against getting sick from flu.
- The flu vaccine provides protection for people who are at greater risk of getting seriously ill from the flu, such as older adults, people with certain health conditions, and young children.
- The flu vaccine may make your illness milder if you do become sick from the flu.
- The flu vaccine can reduce the risk of more serious outcomes, such as hospitalization.
How can you learn more?
- Please feel free to speak with one of our pharmacists
- Contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevent ion (CDC):
o Call 1-800-232-4636 (1-800-CDC-INFO) or
o Visit CDC’s website at http://www.cdc.gov